To Report a Griffon in Need

Frequently Asked Questions About Adoption

Available Griffons

Adoption and Foster Applications

Is a Brussels Griffon the Right Breed for You?

Missing Griffon Alerts

Want to Help?


In Honor...

Griffon Stories

Links & More Info

Help NBGR While You Shop!



July 26, 2005

Meet Miss Gidget!

Gidget is a 5 year old spayed pug/griffon mix. She is the one with the tongue. She is shorter than Daisy but fatter :) She is very, very shy.

Due to kennel reduction, Griff needs a foster home with someone who will spend time loving and socializing him. When he learns that life is good he will overcome his shyness enough to be placed in a forever home.

August 12th Update:
Gidget is now a part of the NBGR rescue program. She is being fostered in Ohio.

If you would like more information, contact Beth Lane. If you are interested in adoption please fill out our Adoption Application.

Keep in mind that we prefer to place dogs within driving distance of where they are being fostered. If someone from outside the local area is approved for adoption, they must be willing to fly in to get the dog and that can only happen if the dog is stable enough to travel in the cabin with the passenger.

September 22, 2005


Gidget has been Adopted!

From Gidget's new mom:

Gidget spent her first night here last night and I am so proud of her. She slept the whole night through - in the same room with Puggly so I think that helped. She spent the majority of the day here yesterday under our end table, but by 5:00 I knew she should have to go to the bathroom. Any time I took Puggly out yesterday Gidget would come out from under the table, but when I opened the door she would hide again. I finally got her to come out and learned the hard way that I should have put her on a leash. We have very tall pompous grasses and she went under the grass and hid. I went in the house and watched her from the window and she came out on her own in less than five minutes. Thank goodness - I was not sure how I was going to get her out of there!

Last night before bed I decided to try to get her to come outside again. When I opened the door she came out and I put her on a leash. She loved it! We were outside walking around the yard for 30 minutes before coming in and then she went to the door on her own after a few minutes so we went out for another 30 minutes. She wagged her tail almost the entire time we were out there the second time - I am so excited. She pottied both times and came in and got a drink and then ate her dinner. We are thrilled. This morning she went outside again and she RAN around on her leash - I am definitely going to get some good exercise!!

She has gone under the table again this morning, but she has visited me in the office twice since I have been writing to you. She is exploring this morning and then hiding, but I cannot tell you how shocked I am that she is coming around so quickly. She has let my husband hold her and she let our son pet her.

I knew you would be wondering how our Gidget girl is doing so I thought I would write a quick note.

Thanks again for your help,

October 10, 2005

Just a quick update on Gidget. She is doing great - we took her with us to get our family pictures taken and she did so well. I cannot believe how well she handled all of the different people and the lights and cameras. I am attaching a picture of Gidget and Puggly Joe that the photographer was nice enough to e-mail me so that you could see how Gidget looks now. Thanks for everything.

December 24, 2005

A long note on the kids: The Tuesday before Thanksgiving Puggly Joe got sick and we took him to the vet the next day. The vet told us he had an upper respiratory infection and gave him an antibiotic injection and sent us home with antibiotics.

The day after Thanksgiving Puggly Joe was not feeling any better so we took him back and the vet ran some blood tests and said that his white blood cell count was in the high normal range and that the antibiotic must have been working and he sent us home with some special food since Puggly Joe had not been eating and had lost a little over a pound.

By Sunday Puggly could barely walk and we took him to the vet hospital in Columbus where he was admitted to ICU. His white blood cell count was extremely high and he had lost over two pounds. The ER doc thought he had pneumonia and the internist agreed but wanted to do an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a compressed lung and so the lung was drained and the fluid was analyzed and it was found that Puggly actually had a lung lobe torsion. For some reason Puggly's lung lobe had twisted and had died. Since the lung lobe was not doing its job his body was treating it as a foreign object and was rejecting it. That in turn was making Puggly very sick. We were told that he would have no chance of survival without surgery to remove that lung lobe.

We opted for the surgery which was quite extensive. His chest had to be cracked and the incision runs from his upper chest to his abdomen. He had to have a chest tube and many other tubes. He did so well after surgery, though that they let him come home the following day. They told us that was practically unheard of - he was supposed to stay until Friday, but he had decided he was okay! They told us we could monitor him as well as they could at that point.

The pathology tests came back a week later after a lot of anxious moments, and there was no cancer found - which was a big relief. The reason for this long drawn out story is to tell you how wonderful Gidget was throughout this ordeal. She was such a mother to Puggly Joe. Normally when Puggly comes near her food Gidget growls and snaps at him, but when he wouldn't eat she would push him toward her bowl of food and not let up on him until he ate a little. She laid with him constantly, kissing him frequently, and came to let us know when he needed something. She kept him clean and was always right about what he needed - whether it was to go to the bathroom or a pain pill or just some loving attention and she wouldn't sleep through the night - she constantly checked on him.

Gidget cried most of the time Puggly was in the hospital and her place at home was by the window looking for him to come home. It was pitiful, but touching at the same time. It made us realize that Gidget now feels like a part of our family and that she is very in tune with us all. She was extra loving to all of us and let us all hold her on our laps and love on her more than normal.

I feel a little better about Puggly Joe now because Gidget is back to snapping at him and he no longer gets a free meal from her - I never thought I would feel so good about one of their fights!

Gidget is a great girl and we are so appreciative of her. Thank you for making it happen.

Merry Christmas!


Back for more rescue stories!


Copyright 1998 by The National Brussels Griffon Rescue. All rights reserved. Information from this site may be downloaded and printed for personal use only. No portion of this site may be reproduced for distribution or publication by any means without prior written permission.

National Brussels Griffon Rescue, Inc. is a 501c3 non-profit organization.
All donations are tax deductible.